I grew up making countless batches of rice krispie treats. My mom would pull the chair over to the stove and we would dutifully follow the recipe on the box. She would then let me pack them too tightly in the pan and we would cut reasonable squares for her students or my classmates. Occasionally we would toss in some peanut butter but never a DARING AMOUNT…
Well, I’m done following recipes on boxes and bags; it’s time to rise up and rebel!
That’s why I almost DOUBLE the amount of marshmallows, increase the butter a smidge, stir in a heaping spoonful (or 2) or peanut butter and press crushed up girl scout cookies on top.
Are you ready for this?
This might be my favorite 10 minute dessert. They were so good, I had to get them out of my house. I sent them to the locker room IMMEDIATELY.
Epic Rice Krispie Treats
Yield 16 bars
Are you ready to elevate your rice krispie game? These treats incorporate more marshmallows, peanut butter, chocolate chunks, and your favorite cookies! Try them today!
- 1 box of rice krispie cereal
- 1 1/2 bags of marshmallows
- 3/4 C peanut butter
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C chocolate chunks
- 12 crush up girl scout cookies (I used peanut butter patties)
- Prepare 13x9 dish or pan with either parchment paper OR spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- melt butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the marshmallows.
- Add the vanilla extract and peanut butter. Stir till completely melted and the peanut butter is evenly distributed.
- Remove pot from the heat. Fold in the rice krispies. Once the cereal is well coated, dump into prepared pan.
- Gently press the chocolate chunks and crushed up cookies into the top.
- Let cool in fridge for 30 minutes or on counter for 45 mins - 1 hour. Cut into generous squares and enjoy!