Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Yield 6 servings
Creamy tomato basil soup: smooth, velvety, + topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. The addition of orzo to add just the right amount of texture.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Carton of Pomi Strained Tomatoes (26 oz.)
- 1 can of vegetable broth
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- ¼ C fresh basil, chopped
- ½ C of Half and half or heavy cream
- 1 C of orzo pasta, cooked
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh oregano (optional)
- ¼ C of parmesan cheese, grated
- additional chopped basil, for garnish
- Prepare 1 cup of orzo according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic till translucent, about 5 minutes. DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC.
- Add the box of tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. (add the oregano here if using)
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes on med-low heat. If you would like a smoother consistency, use an immersion blender now. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular upright blender in batches.
- stir in the cream and orzo until well combined.
- Top with additional basil and a little grated parmesan
Serve with a warm grilled cheese, Enjoy!
I use pomi boxed tomatoes because they seem to be less acidic. If those aren’t available, don’t worry! Use canned tomatoes and increase the brown sugar and let simmer a little longer.
If you need to make a larger quantity, just double the recipe
It you want to freeze this recipe, do so before adding the cream.
Substitute the cream for 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Recipe by First and Full at https://firstandfull.com/creamy-tomato-basil-soup/