Homemade Cherry Berry Pop-Tarts
2 sheets of pie dough
1 C Cherries, frozen
2 C Mixed berries, frozen
1 tbsp lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp milk (or water)
1 C powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out pie dough into a rectangle; about 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Cut into 8 rectangles. Put in the fridge so it can firm back up.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 for the other sheet of pie dough.
- To make filling: add cherries, berries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, and water to sauce pan. Heat up to a simmer. Stir occasionally as berries start to cook down. Add more cold water as needed.
- When the filling is done, it will be thick like store- bought jelly. Strain the seeds out of the jelly with a fine mesh sieve. Set aside to let cool.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Take first sheet of rectangles and spoon 1 tbsp of filling mixture in the middle.
- Top with another rectangle of pie dough.
- Crimp edges with a fork. Prick the pastry with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Brush tops with egg wash. (Egg wash: whisk egg and milk together till well combined)
- Bake for 15- 18 mins. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Glaze: whisk powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract till smooth. Drizzle over top cooked and cooled pastries.
- Add holiday sprinkles if you want! Enjoy!
Recipe by First and Full at https://firstandfull.com/homemade-pop-tarts-cherry-berry/