Sweet Potato Casserole with a Pecan Crumble
Yield 8 servings
Creamy sweet potatoes topped with a sweet, crunchy, pecan topping.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work as well)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes ; ~approx. 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Prepare sweet potatoes: roast them whole or boil till fork tender. Make sure to remove the skins.
- Sweet Potato Mixture: Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with mixer or whisk vigorously.
- Pour mixture into baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Prepare Topping: In a medium bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, oats, pecans, and melted butter. Mix with your hands till mixture is crumbly.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven after 30 minutes and sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture with the pecan topping and bake for an additional 15-18 minutes. It will begin to brown when ready.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If you wanted to make some adjustments to suit dietary restrictions or preferences, you could:
- Omit the nuts in the crunchy topping and just increase the amount of oatmeal
- Sub the butter in the topping for coconut oil
- Use a flour substitute for the topping (i.e. gluten-free flour, almond meal, etc.)
- Decrease the refined sugar in the sweet potato mixture by subbing maple syrup for 1/2.
- Try a flax egg or another egg substitute in the filling mixture.
Recipe by First and Full at https://firstandfull.com/sweet-potato-casserole-pecan-crumble/