This Creamy corn and potato chowder is an easy and delicious soup recipe without the dairy! The garlicky croutons (recipe included) add the perfect crunch.
- 5 ears of corn, cut off the kernels and RESERVE the cobs!
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound of yellow potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 2-3 C of Water
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 C Coconut Cream (Optional)
Homemade Garlicky Croutons
- 2 C Leftover sourdough bread, roughly torn
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- cheddar cheese (would obviously make it NOT Dairy Free)
- In a large stock pot or your Instant Pot, add the leftover cobs, the skin from the onion, and tops of the leeks. Cover with water and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- If using an Instant Pot: Add leftover cobs, skin from the onion, tops of the leeks, and water to pot. HIGH Pressure for 20 Minutes with natural release.
- In a separate Dutch oven or large pot on medium, warm up 3 tbsp of olive oil or ghee. Add the onions, sliced leeks, and potatoes. Cook till potatoes are very soft.
- Pour 1- 1/2 C of the Corn broth in the pot with the potatoes, onions and leeks. Stir in corn kernels. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt + pepper, to taste.
- Transfer half of the soup to the blender and pulse till smooth. OR Use an immersion blender until the desired consistency is achieved. If too thick add more corn broth.
- For extra creaminess, stir in 1/2 C of Coconut Cream (OPTIONAL) Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To make garlicky croutons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small sauce pot, warm the minced garlic and olive oil till fragrant. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out the torn bread pieces. Toss with the garlic olive oil. Bake for 10- 15 minutes or till crunchy.
- Serve soup with croutons, scallions, shredded cheese, and bacon if desired.
I wanted to keep the recipe cheap and easy so I just made my own broth with the vegetable scraps but you could definitely use chicken broth instead of/ or in addition to.
This soup is very simple! Don’t overcomplicate it. Make sure to taste before serving and add salt and pepper if necessary.