Soup season is here and I have another EASY recipe for you to try this year: Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder! I love Potato Soup and was looking for a way to jazz it up a little bit. Well, sweet corn did JUST the trick. This recipe is miraculously dairy- free and only requires only a handful of ingredients!
The corn cobs provide a delicious sweet and savory broth when simmered in a little water and the yellow potatoes provide the thick and creamy quality you expect out of a chowder. The leeks add just the right amount of flavor and bacon is ALWAYS a welcomed addition in this house! This Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder will warm you right up with out the traditional heaviness of other creamy soups.
The recipe also includes instructions for my FAVORITE crunchy, garlicky croutons. They are so good you will want to eat them like chips.
Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder
Yield 6 Servings
This Creamy corn and potato chowder is an easy and delicious soup recipe without the dairy! The garlicky croutons (recipe included) add the perfect crunch.
- 5 ears of corn, cut off the kernels and RESERVE the cobs!
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound of yellow potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 2-3 C of Water
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 C Coconut Cream (Optional)
Homemade Garlicky Croutons
- 2 C Leftover sourdough bread, roughly torn
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- cheddar cheese (would obviously make it NOT Dairy Free)
- In a large stock pot or your Instant Pot, add the leftover cobs, the skin from the onion, and tops of the leeks. Cover with water and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- If using an Instant Pot: Add leftover cobs, skin from the onion, tops of the leeks, and water to pot. HIGH Pressure for 20 Minutes with natural release.
- In a separate Dutch oven or large pot on medium, warm up 3 tbsp of olive oil or ghee. Add the onions, sliced leeks, and potatoes. Cook till potatoes are very soft.
- Pour 1- 1/2 C of the Corn broth in the pot with the potatoes, onions and leeks. Stir in corn kernels. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt + pepper, to taste.
- Transfer half of the soup to the blender and pulse till smooth. OR Use an immersion blender until the desired consistency is achieved. If too thick add more corn broth.
- For extra creaminess, stir in 1/2 C of Coconut Cream (OPTIONAL) Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To make garlicky croutons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small sauce pot, warm the minced garlic and olive oil till fragrant. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out the torn bread pieces. Toss with the garlic olive oil. Bake for 10- 15 minutes or till crunchy.
- Serve soup with croutons, scallions, shredded cheese, and bacon if desired.
I wanted to keep the recipe cheap and easy so I just made my own broth with the vegetable scraps but you could definitely use chicken broth instead of/ or in addition to.
This soup is very simple! Don’t overcomplicate it. Make sure to taste before serving and add salt and pepper if necessary.