I had the most amazing appetizer at a restaurant recently and rushed home to recreate it! These ultra crispy brussel sprouts are topped with toasted almonds and lemon zest, while served with a mildly sweet, creamy, lemony, garlic sauce that absolutely MAKE the dish. This is a great appetizer but also perfect for a side dish for an otherwise boring meal.
Everyone will be asking for second helpings!
Oven “Fried” Brussel Sprouts
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Method: oven fried
These ultra crispy brussel sprouts + the sweet and creamy, lemony dipping sauce are about to be a new addiction for you!
- Brussel sprouts, trimmed, halve, and rinsed
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp Avocado oil (or another oil with a high smoke point)
- Salt + pepper
For the dipping sauce:
2/3 C Mayo
- 1 date, softened in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- Juice of the other half of the lemon
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Slivered almonds, toasted in a skillet or in the stove till barely fragrant ~5 minutes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven AND cast iron skillet (with 2 tablespoons of oil) to 425 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Prepare Brussel sprouts. Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil and salt + pepper.
- When skillet + oil is hot, CAREFULLY remove from oven.
- Add sprouts to the skillet. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- TO PREPARE DIPPING SAUCE: Make the mayo base first (SEE NOTE). Add the softened date + the warm water it soaked in, additional lemon juice, the clove of garlic, and salt + pepper to a tall container or blender. Pulse ingredients till smooth and creamy.
- Remove sprouts from oven and top with toasted almonds and lemon zest. Serve immediately with dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Yes, this recipe is Whole30!
You are free to use a store-bought mayo. If you want to quickly whip up your own:
- 1 -1/4 C LIGHT olive oil
- 1 egg
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch of salt
If you need to thin the sauce, add either additional lemon juice or water!
Use an immersion blender to emulsify the ingredients above. Reserve remaining mayo mixture in the fridge for up to 1 week.