Whole30 Compliant Hamburger Steaks using almond flour to keep things together, a rich onion gravy with beef stock ladled over the top served with homemade mashed potatoes and fresh steamed green beans. Still a classic recipe, just a little healthier!
- 3 Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 C chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C almond flour (or coconut flour)
- 1 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- ghee or oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 C beef stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 lb of fresh green beans
- avocado oil
- salt + pepper
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Add diced potatoes to instant pot & cover with chicken stock and water till barely covering the potatoes. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with a manual release.
- Prepare Hamburger Steaks: Combine ground beef, egg, almond flour, salt+ pepper, parsley, thyme balsamic vinegar, and roasted garlic in a bowl. Use your hands to mix everything up. Scoop into even size patties and place in a plate or baking sheet.
- Heat a skillet on medium- high heat; add ghee. Once pan is hot, add the hamburger steaks. Sear on both sides; approx. 2-3 minutes on either side. Cover pan with lid to let meat continue cooking. Remove hamburger steaks to a plate.
- Add sliced onions to the same pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir and scrape occasionally. Once cooked down, add splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Make gravy: In a separate bowl, dissolve potato starch into beef stock. Pour over the softened onions. Stir till gravy begins to thicken. Season with additional salt + pepper if necessary.
- Add the hamburger steaks back to the pan.
- Finish Mashed potatoes: drain off excess liquid. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to your liking and add ghee, salt, and pepper.
- Steam the green beans and season with salt + pepper.
- Serve the hamburger steaks over the mashed potatoes with a little gravy + onions, and steamed green beans.