These were the things my mama made when I was growing up: Juicy hamburger steaks, with a mushroom- onion gravy poured over the top, and creamy mashed potatoes with canned green beans.
I was craving comfort food but a little cleaner and #whole30compliant. I cleaned things up by using almond flour to keep things together, a rich onion gravy with beef stock and potato starch and served things over homemade mashed potatoes with fresh steamed green beans. These hamburger steaks are awfully similar to Salisbury steak just without the addition of tomato paste or ketchup. If you are often searching for new ways to use ground beef, give these a try! They are full of flavor and delicious over mashed potatoes or even cauliflower mash.
Whole30 Compliant Hamburger Steaks using almond flour to keep things together, a rich onion gravy with beef stock ladled over the top served with homemade mashed potatoes and fresh steamed green beans. Still a classic recipe, just a little healthier!
- 3 Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 C chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C almond flour (or coconut flour)
- 1 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- ghee or oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 C beef stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 lb of fresh green beans
- avocado oil
- salt + pepper
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Add diced potatoes to instant pot & cover with chicken stock and water till barely covering the potatoes. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with a manual release.
- Prepare Hamburger Steaks: Combine ground beef, egg, almond flour, salt+ pepper, parsley, thyme balsamic vinegar, and roasted garlic in a bowl. Use your hands to mix everything up. Scoop into even size patties and place in a plate or baking sheet.
- Heat a skillet on medium- high heat; add ghee. Once pan is hot, add the hamburger steaks. Sear on both sides; approx. 2-3 minutes on either side. Cover pan with lid to let meat continue cooking. Remove hamburger steaks to a plate.
- Add sliced onions to the same pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir and scrape occasionally. Once cooked down, add splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Make gravy: In a separate bowl, dissolve potato starch into beef stock. Pour over the softened onions. Stir till gravy begins to thicken. Season with additional salt + pepper if necessary.
- Add the hamburger steaks back to the pan.
- Finish Mashed potatoes: drain off excess liquid. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to your liking and add ghee, salt, and pepper.
- Steam the green beans and season with salt + pepper.
- Serve the hamburger steaks over the mashed potatoes with a little gravy + onions, and steamed green beans.