A healthy twist on the comfort food classic: Homemade, tangy- tomato sloppy joe sauce layered on crispy roasted sweet potato wedges.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder or (1/2 tsp of mustard)*
- 1 C Whole30 Ketchup or (regular ketchup)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 dates**, pitted and soaked in water; blend into a paste with tbsp of soaking liquid or chop as finely as possible.
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and chopped into wedges
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 C guacamole or just smashed avocado, for serving (optional)
- Brown the ground beef. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet, sauté the diced bell pepper and onion till tender; about 5 minutes. Add the drained ground beef back to the pan.
- Add the Ketchup, mustard powder, tomato paste and date paste or chopped dates. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture thickens too much, add a tiny bit of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast the sweet potato wedges in the oven on 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to flip halfway. You could also use your air fryer!
- Place the sweet potato wedges on a platter and top with the prepared sloppy joe mixture. Serve with a side of guacamole.
*I don’t like a strong mustard flavor but it’s necessary to the dish. Try not to omit.
**If not using whole30 ketchup consider skipping the dates. Store bought ketchup includes added sugar already. OR use 1 tbsp of brown sugar or maple syrup if NOT on Whole30.