Savory shredded beef left to simmer in a delicious tomato based sauce best served over rice with a side of sweet plantains!
- 1 1/2- 2 lb flank steak or london broil
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- kosher salt + black pepper
- 18 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt + more for finishing
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 mejool dates, pitted (or 2 tbsp brown sugar)
- Cilantro, Avocado, Rice, Black Beans, and pan fried plantains.
- Season both sides of the steak liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the 2 tbsp of Avocado Oil in a skillet on high. Brown each side of the steak; ~2 mins per side.
- Once steak is browned, remove from the pan.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté till they begin to get tender. Add the red bell pepper, sliced shallot, and crushed cloves of garlic.
- At this point, transfer all the ingredients to your slow cooker. Add the crushed tomatoes and all seasonings.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours. Remove the meat and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker.
- Season to taste with additional salt if necessary and add a pitted date if it needs a little sweetness. The date will just melt into the sauce.
This isn’t a traditional Ropa Vieja. I took a few liberties when it came to the ingredients. Feel free to add other veggies like diced carrots, celery, capers, olives, or peas.