Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja is the recipe you probably ALWAYS have the ingredients for but have never tried. This comforting dish is easily thrown together and super versatile.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja will be in weekly rotation in the Allen house. Seriously. The shredded beef is incredibly tender and the flavors of the crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and the tang of the vinegar are EVERYTHING. It’s not a traditional Cuban rendition but I have added options to change things up if you please!
This Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja will be an instant favorite amongst your family. I served mine alongside some brown rice and tostones but it would be just as tasty with a Whole30 or Paleo replacement for the rice and sautéed sweet plantains in place of the tostones. Also, you could always stuff the beef in a tortilla and call it a taco.
I heard you! I asked my loyal followers what kind of recipes they would like to see here on FirstandFull.com and the overwhelming response was slow cooker recipes. I thought for sure people were going to request instant pot recipes but the trusty slow cooker won out.
Ropa Vieja (Whole30)
Yield 6-8 serving
Savory shredded beef left to simmer in a delicious tomato based sauce best served over rice with a side of sweet plantains!
- 1 1/2- 2 lb flank steak or london broil
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- kosher salt + black pepper
- 18 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt + more for finishing
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 mejool dates, pitted (or 2 tbsp brown sugar)
- Cilantro, Avocado, Rice, Black Beans, and pan fried plantains.
- Season both sides of the steak liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the 2 tbsp of Avocado Oil in a skillet on high. Brown each side of the steak; ~2 mins per side.
- Once steak is browned, remove from the pan.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté till they begin to get tender. Add the red bell pepper, sliced shallot, and crushed cloves of garlic.
- At this point, transfer all the ingredients to your slow cooker. Add the crushed tomatoes and all seasonings.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours. Remove the meat and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker.
- Season to taste with additional salt if necessary and add a pitted date if it needs a little sweetness. The date will just melt into the sauce.
This isn’t a traditional Ropa Vieja. I took a few liberties when it came to the ingredients. Feel free to add other veggies like diced carrots, celery, capers, olives, or peas.
Looking for another shredded beef recipe? Try my Beef Barbacoa.