Lately, I have been seeking healthier alternatives to some of our dinner staples. Joy has chicken tenders at least once a week. They are easy and a guarantee she will get some sort of protein in her diet. I have found some clean alternatives at the grocery store that I keep on hand but I wanted to change things up this week. These coconut chicken tenders pass the toddler test: Still crunchy, perfect for dipping, and not a vegetable!
Typically, when you see a recipe for coconut chicken tenders, they feature the sweetened coconut flakes and are served with a sweet chili dipping sauce. These use unsweetened coconut and coconut flour instead of tradition all purpose flour.
The coconut taste is faint and they are truly versatile. I baked mine in the oven for 25 minutes followed by 5 minutes on broil and they had an audible crunch and kept their coating.
Your entire family will appreciate this childhood classic with a twist.
Crispy Oven-Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders
Crispy baked chicken tenders the whole family will love. These chicken tenders pack a ton of flavor and an audible crunch. They aren't your average coconut chicken tenders as they use the unsweetened coconut flake and coconut flour. Give them a try today!
- 1 1/2 lbs of chicken tenderloins
- 1 C coconut flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 C panko
- 1 1/2 C shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1/4 C Milk
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place wire rack over lined cookie sheet. Spray liberally with cooking spray. (I used coconut oil)
- In a plastic bag, add the coconut flour and all the seasonings. Toss the chicken tenderloins till each one is coated well.
- In one shallow dish, mix the milk and eggs.
- In another shallow dish, combine the panko, shredded coconut, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Remove the tenderloins from the flour mixture, dredge in the egg mixture, then the coconut mixture. Shake off the excess and place on the prepared wire rack. Repeat with each tender.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning once.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil for 5 minutes.
This recipe is easily adjusted to be gluten free. All you need is some gluten free panko!
These chicken tenders reheat wonderfully. Just bake in oven on 425 degrees for 10 minutes.