Good shrimp is one of the new luxuries of living in Houston. We are near the gulf and have no issues finding GOOD, fresh shrimp. There is a little spot near our house that lets you pick your raw shrimp and they batter and fry it up for you. It’s so simple yet delicious.
Healthier “Fried” Shrimp
Delicious fried shrimp is something we like to enjoy at home just slightly healthier. As y’all know, we are kind of obsessed with our air fryer so we decided to take this easy fried shrimp recipe and “air-fry” it. It resulted in light, crispy, flavorful shrimp.
Oven “Fried” Shrimp
I know all of my readers don’t have an air fryer so I made sure this recipe would work in the oven as well! For the best oven results, you definitely need a baking rack. It elevates the food just slightly so that the hot air can circulate around the food insuring all the sides get crispy.
Here is a link to purchase one under $15! –>http://amzn.to/2o7JWRG
If you don’t have one of those, it’s still ok; make sure to use parchment paper so your batter stays intact and rotate and flip the food every so often.
The key is well seasoned flour. Don’t skimp on the salt!
Crispy “Fried” Shrimp
Yield 4 servings
Breaded Shrimp that can be made in the air-fryer or in the oven. It cooks up light and crispy!
- 1 pound of shrimp, deveined
- 1 1/2 C Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp of all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 C Flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs + 1 tbsp milk
- 3 dashes hot sauce (or less)
- oil spray*
- (If Using the oven, preheat to 400 degrees)
- Rinse and pat dry shrimp.
- In one bowl add the flour with salt and pepper.
- in another bowl, combine eggs, milk, and hot sauce. Mix till well combined.
- in a separate bowl, add panko breadcrumbs and seasoning mix.
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour first, followed by the egg mixture, and then the panko.
- lightly mist the coated shrimp with oil spray. LIGHTLY is key!
- For oven: bake on baking rack for 8-10 minutes. Coating will begin to brown. For Air fryer: cook for 8 minutes on 330 degrees.
- Enjoy while hot!
"a light misting oil spray is best. You just need a light coating of oil. I like coconut or avocado oil.
She couldn’t even wait for me to take the picture!