I recently got the opportunity to volunteer with the Periwinkle Foundation and host a fun kid- friendly cooking class at their day camp! We made three delicious snacks without the use of an oven or stove and the kids had a great time.
The Periwinkle Foundation is located here in Houston, Texas and provides an amazing opportunity for the kids and families going through cancer and sickle cell treatments. They host a week long day camp as well as an overnight camp that is completely accessible and free for the families. The camps provide the kids a true summer camp experience they might otherwise never experience. It also gave them a chance to temporarily sideline whatever they may be going through and just enjoy being a kid! I was honored they asked me to come hang out with them and was absolutely blown away by their positive spirit and excitement to cook! We got a little messy, taste tested everything, and might have been on a slight sugar high but overall it was a success. Jeff also got the chance to stop by at lunch time and I think they were pretty excited about that too ; )
The kid- friendly recipes provided below would be great to make with your own children and don’t require any kitchen equipment; just a bowl, spoon, and fork.
Cookie Butter Energy Balls
Cookie Butter Energy Balls
Yield 3 Serving
We created this Small bite with a base of Biscoff Cookie Butter (we wanted to avoid allergens), Oatmeal + oat flour, chocolate chips and left room for other tasty add ins.
- 1/2 C Biscoff Cookie Butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp + 1 tbsp oat flour
- 1/3 C Old fashioned oats
- 1/4 C Add- ins (chocolate chips, coconut, mini m&ms, raisins, crushed pretzels, etc.)
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Make tbsp size balls and roll between palms.
Oat flour is simply old fashioned oats, pulsed in the blender.
If the mixture is too sticky, add more oat flour!
If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add more honey.
BBQ Ranch Roll Ups
BBQ Ranch Rollups
Yield 5 servings
Creamy ranch mixed with your favorite bbq sauce spread on a tortilla and topped with lettuce, cheese, and deli- sliced chicken.
- 1 tbsp ranch dressing
- 1 tsp BBQ sauce
- 1 slice of cheese
- 2 pieces of thinly sliced chicken
- 1 piece of romaine lettuce
- mix together BBQ sauce and ranch dressing. Spread all over a tortilla.
- layer with cheese, chicken, and lettuce.
- Starting at one end, carefully roll it up as tight as possible. Slice into 1 inch pieces.
Yield 2 Serving
An easy, cream cheese- based dip perfect for dipping cookies in!
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips
- graham crackers
- Nilla wafers
- animal crackers
- red/ green apple slices
1. Stir the softened cream cheese and butter together till smooth.
2. After combining the butter and cream cheese, add the vanilla extract and brown sugar..
3. One the brown sugar is full mixed in, add the powdered sugar.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Serve with cookies and crackers!
Make sure your cream cheese and butter are soft! They will almost be room temperature when ready.