It’s cherry season! The cherries are a rich, red hue, and super sweet. They are delicious as a snack when chilled and even better baked into this delicious Almond Cherry Crisp.
Fresh cherry halves are tossed with a little honey, brown sugar, and lemon juice and topped with a nutty crunchy crust made with sliced almonds, oats, warm cinnamon and a little more brown sugar.
Make this dessert ahead of time and impress your guests with a fresh, seasonal dessert. If you want to be the hostess with the mostest, have fresh ice cream on hand when you serve your almond cherry crisp warm.
The crisp topping is universal and would pretty much make any dessert stand out. This is a great option for my gluten free friends!
Almond Cherry Crisp
Yield 4 Serving
A fresh cherry filling topped with a delicious, crunchy, nutty layer of goodness!
- 2 1/2 C fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tbsp of honey + 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or juice of 1/2 a lemon)
For the crisp topping:
- 1/2 C sliced almonds
- 1/2 C oats
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, cold” and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking dish by spraying the bottom and sides with nonstick cooking spray. (I used a small cast iron skillet but you could also use an 8x8 baking dish, round pie pan, or 9 inch skillet.)
- To In a medium bowl, combine pitted cherries with honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch. Add to prepared baking dish.
- To prepare crisp topping: combine the dry ingredients (sliced almonds, oats, brown sugar, almond meal, cinnamon, and salt). Add the cold butter* to the dry ingredients and combine till a coarse mixture remains. Use 2 knives to “cut in the butter”**
- Sprinkle Crisp mixture on top of cherries.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes. The top will be golden brown and the cherry filling will be bubbly around the edges.
You could also CAREFULLY use a food processor to pulse the dry mixture with the cold, cubed butter, but try doing it by hand first!
If you are looking for something similar but different than this Almond Cherry Crisp, Try my: