This recipes calls for tart Granny Smith apples, old fashioned oatmeal, and fresh cinnamon. It’s a nice change if your looking for something other than a cookie or slice of cake. If self control isn’t your thing, try making it in small ramekins. You’re going to want your own personal pan after you taste that first warm gooey bite!
I had the opportunity to make this dish LIVE on Great Day Houston a couple years ago. I was VERY VERY pregnant but still happy to be there! Here’s the clip if you’re interested:
The first time I made the crisp, put it in the oven and was anxious to take it out. I let it cool, drizzled on the caramel, and opened my freezer looking for the ice cream and I didn’t have any! I was immediately disappointed but then I remembered that lone cup of vanilla greek yogurt in the refrigerator. I was in a desperate state and took a huge spoonful and plopped it on top of the crisp. Would you believe me if I told you it was DELICIOUS? It added the right amount of creaminess and wasn’t too sweet. If you want to save a few calories, give it a try. I love kitchen accidents turned successes.
An easy to execute apple crisp with tart granny smith apples and a crunchy, delicious, oatmeal brown sugar topping.
- 1/2 C Flour
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/3 C of butter (cold)
- 1/4 C pecans, chopped (optional)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
Caramel for drizzling on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping. “Cut in the butter” (Here is a tutorial if you are unsure how to do it) and mix until it resembles crumbs.
- For the filling, stir the melted butter, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Add the apples. For the last step, stir in the flour.
- In a buttered baking dish, add the apple mixture followed by the crumb topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes.