One of my favorite lunch combos is tomato soup and grilled cheese. Especially when its FREEZING cold outside. My creamy tomato basil soup is smooth and velvety, with light orzo pasta stirred in, and topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
The orzo adds a little bit of texture and there is nothing better than pairing this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I take things to the next level with fresh sourdough bread, garlic butter, and thick slices of cheddar cheese.
If you are looking for an EASY, delicious recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup, look no further.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Yield 6 servings
Creamy tomato basil soup: smooth, velvety, + topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. The addition of orzo to add just the right amount of texture.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Carton of Pomi Strained Tomatoes (26 oz.)
- 1 can of vegetable broth
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- ¼ C fresh basil, chopped
- ½ C of Half and half or heavy cream
- 1 C of orzo pasta, cooked
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh oregano (optional)
- ¼ C of parmesan cheese, grated
- additional chopped basil, for garnish
- Prepare 1 cup of orzo according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic till translucent, about 5 minutes. DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC.
- Add the box of tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. (add the oregano here if using)
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes on med-low heat. If you would like a smoother consistency, use an immersion blender now. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular upright blender in batches.
- stir in the cream and orzo until well combined.
- Top with additional basil and a little grated parmesan
Serve with a warm grilled cheese, Enjoy!
I use pomi boxed tomatoes because they seem to be less acidic. If those aren’t available, don’t worry! Use canned tomatoes and increase the brown sugar and let simmer a little longer.
If you need to make a larger quantity, just double the recipe
It you want to freeze this recipe, do so before adding the cream.
Substitute the cream for 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt