Weekends are for football foods. Football foods can be anything from a chicken wing, to nachos, the perfect chili (and/ or chili dog), or these amazing southwestern egg rolls. Before you scroll down the post looking to see if they’re baked, they are not. I fry them till golden brown and serve them immediately. Call it a cheat meal if you have to, but these little things are amazing! They are crispy, spicy, a little sweet, and addicting. For a bonus, they can be prepared and frozen, ready to whip out on a Saturday night or Sunday Morning before you favorite team takes the field.
I have been trying to recreate this appetizer for a while now and I finally nailed it. I like to serve them with a cool and creamy avocado dipping sauce
Southwestern Egg Rolls
Crispy Fried Eggrolls full of Southwestern Chicken, sweet corn, black beans, and plenty of cheese
- 1 ½ C Shredded or diced chicken breast
- 1 ½ C sweet corn
- 1 can of black beans
- ½ a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed with all the excess water squeezed out
- 1 ½ C Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 pack of egg roll wrappers (approx. 15)
- ¼ C fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 C of water to seal the egg roll wrappers
For the Avocado Dipping sauce
- 1 Container of greek yogurt
- ½ C Milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp of pepper
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- ½ jalapeno (can be fresh or jarred)
- In a large skillet, saute the diced onions and jalapenos for about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic.
- Next, add the chicken, corn, black beans, and spinach. Stir that around for about 5 minutes. Season the mixture with the cumin, garlic powder, salt + pepper, and chili powder.
- Add the chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, and lime juice. Once the cheese barely starts to melt, turn off the stove.
- To fill the egg roll wrappers, lay them out one at a time in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center. Roll it up and make sure to tuck in the sides.
- Dip your finger in the cup of water and run it along the seam. This will make sure the filling doesn’t leak out
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a dutch oven or deep pot. Once hot enough, drop the eggrolls 2-3 at a time. Make sure to flip when one side is golden brown. (Approx. 5 minutes total)
- Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil.
Avacado Dipping Sauce
- The dipping sauce can’t get any easier. Place all the ingredients in a blender, and pulse till smooth. Add more milk if too thick.
I actually keep diced chicken breast frozen for occasions like this. Really easy to just pull the back out, measure how much you need and whip up something delicious.
If time is limited, use a taco seasoning packet and add extra cumin.
Taste the mixture before filling the egg roll wrappers. Adjust seasonings to taste.
HERE is a link to a video instructing you how to properly roll and seal an egg roll .
Good luck to the Illini and the Chiefs This Weekend!