I will never turn down Indian Takeout. There is a spot around the corner from our house that makes it just right and immediately gives me all the comfort food vibes I seek on Sunday afternoons. Their heat level is just right, the naan super garlicy, and the entrees are the perfect size― enough for leftovers the following day. When I am looking to eat a little healthier, Indian takeout isn’t really an option. It can be laden with cream and the naan isn’t exactly low in calories or high in nutritional value.
This Whole30 Compliant Butter Chicken was created out of necessity.
Why Whole30 Butter Chicken?
During our Whole30, I CRAVED Indian food.
The almond milk yogurt was hard to come by but Coconut cream is sufficient as a replacement. This dish provides the same ‘Comfort Food Vibes’ but with much cleaner and healthier ingredients. I served mine over sautéed cauli-rice and my husband’s over white Basmati rice with a side of garlic naan.
This Whole30 Butter Chicken Recipe is based off the NYTimes.com Butter Chicken Recipe.
Whole30 Butter Chicken Recipe
Yield 6-8 servings
Make this delicious, and comforting Indian dish Whole30 Compliant! Easy substitutions for the creamy, savory simmer sauce and tender pieces of chicken.
- 1 C unsweetened, almond milk yogurt (Like Kite Hill)*
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch cubes**
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 C diced yellow onion (~2 medium yellow onions)
- 1-2 jalapeños, deseeded and diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C diced tomatoes, canned (~3/4 of a 15 oz can)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2- 1 tsp cayenne (depend on you how much heat you like!)
- salt to taste
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 1/2 C coconut milk (I used Culinary Coconut Milk)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- cauliflower rice
- Overnight: Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, and diced chicken breast in a large bowl. Mix till the chicken is coated. Cover and refrigerate.
- On medium- high heat, sauté the diced yellow onion in the ghee and avocado oil. Stir till translucent. Add the jalapeño and season with cumin and cinnamon. Cook for approx. 4 minutes or till jalapeño begins to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger; stir frequently. Don’t let the garlic burn!
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the diced tomatoes. Season with garlic powder, cayenne, and salt, to taste. (I added 1 1/2 tsp of salt to start).
- Add the chicken + remaining marinade and chicken broth. Let simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut milk and tomato paste. Let simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary ( I added ~1 tsp salt; If not doing Whole30, 1 tbsp sugar)
* Instead of almond milk yogurt, you could also use coconut cream or coconut yogurt.
** You could also use chicken thighs in place of the diced chicken breast