Back when we lived in this fun condo in downtown KC, we would frequent this restaurant called The Peanut. It was a small spot with delicious whole wings, a decent queso, and the best grilled chicken sandwich I have ever had. The sandwich was simple, yet everything you could have ever asked for.
The key was in the creamy spread. No— it wasn’t mayonnaise, I asked. It was a thick spread of cream cheese and soft swiss.
The tender red peppers and red onions added just enough zest and flavor to accompany the basic grilled chicken breast and luscious spread.
The Peanut's Grilled Chicken Sandwich
The best grilled chicken sandwich you will EVER have. Tender + juicy, grilled chicken breast, sautéed peppers & onions with a delicious cream cheese spread.
- 1 pound of chicken breast filets
- salt + pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 8 oz. plain cream cheese, softened
- 4 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (plain or garlic & herb)
- 2 tbsp Mike’s Hot honey (or regular honey)
- 8 hamburger buns
- Lightly season the chicken breast with salt + pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a drizzle of olive oil. Grill.
- With a fork or whisk, whip the softened cream cheese and the laughing cow wedges till smooth and well combined.
- Sauté the red onion and red peppers in olive oil. Set aside.
- To assemble sandwich, lightly toast the bun. Place a thick smear of the cream cheese mixture on the bottom, add the peppers and red onion, top with the grilled chicken breast and a drizzle of the honey.
If you aren’t familiar with hot honey, RUN to the store and grab you a bottle. It has become a staple in my home. If you are one to add a little hot sauce or honey to everything (i.e. fried chicken, biscuits, vinaigrettes) this was made for you.
You could also make the chicken in a grill pan or bake it in the oven.
The chicken breast needs to be thin. If they don’t have fillets at your grocery store, just butterfly whole breasts.
If you’re looking for another sandwich recipe to try, try THESE –> Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches!