The pumpkin saga continues with these AMAZING pumpkin cream cheese muffins. I’m not obsessed with pumpkin or anything, it just really gets me in that fall state of mind. Here in Houston, Texas, our trees are still green, my grass is still green, and the temperature still top 90 degrees. Finding fall is proving more difficult than expected. That’s where these muffins come in! They are fall on a platter. You get the warm and spicy flavor from the cinnamon and nutmeg, the rich cream cheese mixture swirled in on top, followed by the pleasant yet muted taste of the pumpkin.
I adapted my recipe from one I stumbled upon on Pinterest. If I find the original link, I will update the post!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Yield 12 muffins + 4 Jumbo Muffins
Delicious muffins perfect for crisp fall mornings. Warm pumpkin, spicy cinnamon and nutmeg, and the rich swirl of cream cheese.
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin. Use silicone baking cups, paper liners, or spray tins with baking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt)
- In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, sugar, and brown sugar. Once combined well, add the oil, vanilla extract, and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until combined and lump free. Don't whip the mixture!
- For the cream cheese mixture: beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract till smooth.
- Fill each muffin container 3/4 full and top with a tbsp of the cream cheese mixture. Do your best to swirl it in with a fork or toothpick.
- Bake for 18- 22 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.