These Garlic and Herb Au Gratin Potatoes are a fun way to serve potatoes other than the traditional mashed potatoes. Here is another easy side dish with a handy shortcut. The use of Garlic and Herb Boursin cheese allows you to skip chopping the onions and garlic and have a delicious homemade side dish with half the mess.
The Garlic and Herb Boursin cheese adds a ton of flavors and integrates well into the cream sauce. Reserve the other portion of the spreadable cheese for the cheese plate!
Garlic and Herb Au Gratin Potatoes
Yield 8 servings
This Potatoes au Gratin is a classic side dish with a flavorful twist and a great short cut. The use of Boursin Garlic and Herb Cheese adds a creamy and rich flavor to an easy cream sauce later drizzled over sliced potatoes.
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups half and half or whole milk
1/4 C Boursin cheese (Garlic and Herb); roughly half the package
5 cups thinly sliced + peeled potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes (about 6 medium)
1/4 C + 1/2 C parmesan, separated; freshly grated is preferred
1/2 tsp onion powder
fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the Cheese Sauce: melt the butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat.. Sprinkle with flour and stir till a roux forms. The mixture will begin to brown and bubble. Turn the heat to low and whisk in the half and half (or milk). When the sauce begins to thicken add the Boursin Cheese, and add the 1/4 C of shredded parmesan. When mix has thickened, season with salt and pepper to taste, onion powder.
- Assemble Dish: Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Add one later of thinly sliced potatoes. Spoon over a portion of the cream sauce till coated. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Repeat till you reach the top of the baking dish or utilize all the sliced potatoes. Finish the dish with a generous ladle of sauce and more parmesan.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes of till bubbly and beginning to brown. If your dish begins to brown prematurely, tent with foil and continue baking till potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.