Fall is officially here. It’s arrival is marked by the return of the pumpkin spice latte. I haven’t always been a pumpkin fan but l finally hopped on board after tasting my first pumpkin spice latte with Soy Milk. It’s delicious, I suggest you try it sometime. I was playing around in the kitchen, when I got the idea for a new granola recipe. You guessed it, Pumpkin Spice Granola, perfect for any fall day. My first try included canned pumpkin puree and that was a fail. There wasn’t a crispy piece in the entire batch. The success came when I used a ton of pumpkin pie spices (i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, a little cloves), tossed in a few pieces of baked pie crust, and a handful of pumpkin seeds and pecans. I could barely wait for it to finish baking let alone cool down before I gave it a taste. It is PERFECT with vanilla yogurt.
Edit: I was at Target today and saw that Chobani now has a Pumpkin Yogurt. I suggest you RUN to the store and grab you some.
Pumpkin Pie Granola
The granola is the perfect representation of fall. It's full of nuts, seeds, and the warm flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple.
- 3 C old fashioned oats
- ⅓ C pecan pieces
- ⅓ C almond slivers
- ⅓ C pepitas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ C maple syrup
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- frozen pie crust, in sheet form, thawed
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the pie crust, butter,and sugar . Make sure everything is well coated with the maple syrup, honey, and coconut oil.
- Spread out the thawed pie crust. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. cut into bite size pieces. Bake according to package.
- On a separate baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment paper, spread out granola mixture.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Make sure to stir every 3- 4 minutes.
- Once golden brown, remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Add in the baked pie crust pieces and enjoy!
If you don’t have all the pumpkin pie spices, they sell a pre made seasoning mix. Get it!
This makes a great gift. Package it in a large mason jar and add a pretty ribbon. Voila! For an added touch, attach a $5 gift card to their favorite coffee shop.