Blackened Fish Tacos
I love tacos. At first, it was just ground beef tacos, then I branched out to chicken, well now I love fish tacos. Particularly flaky white cod, served in warm tortillas with crunchy cabbage and a smooth avocado sauce drizzled on top. Always avocado sauce. I used Atlantic cod, seasoned it with a delicious mix of cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a few other savory seasonings, and cooked it until opaque and tender. This dish was a cinch to put together and well loved by the hubby. Before summer slips away, whip up a few of these Blackened Fish Tacos.
Blackened Fish Tacos
Seasoned, tender, and flaky fish served in warm tortillas with crisp cabbage and a drizzle of smooth avocado crema.
- Blackened Seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you can stand the heat!)
- 3-4 pieces of Atlantic Cod, frozen or fresh
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil, for cooking fish
- 1 C cabbage, shredded
- ½ C red onion, diced (optional)
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- 1 Container of greek yogurt (6 oz)
- 1 C Milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- ½ jalapeno (can be fresh or jarred)
- Mix together all the spices for the seasoning mixture and spread liberally on both sides of the fish.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Cook the fish about 3 minutes per side.
- Cut the fish into large pieces.
- Add all ingredients for the avocado crema to the blender. Pulse till smooth.
- Heat tortillas in the oven or in a separate skillet.
- top the tacos with the shredded cabbage, diced onion, cilantro, and plenty of avocado crema Garnish with lime wedges.
Feel free to use a premade blackened seasoning.
The fish can also be baked in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 18- 20 minutes.
Shrimp is a good substitute for the cod.
If you like tacos… change things up and try my Sheet pan Steak Fajita Bowls