This is a delicious, warm, and filling breakfast item that your family is sure to love. This sweet potato oatmeal can be prepared ahead of time and can also be a nice change from the typical brown sugar and cinnamon oatmeal from the packet. If you are looking to change up your breakfast menu or looking for some extra nutrients, give it a try.
When I serve a baked sweet potato for dinner, I usually make an extra or two JUST for these oats. If you aren’t into sweet potatoes, try my Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal
Yield 4 servings
Easy and delicious breakfast the whole family will love. The warm, sweet, roasted sweet potato adds a ton of flavor to the morning staple.
- 1 C Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1 roasted sweet potato
- 1 C milk and 1/2 a cup of milk, divided (coconut milk and almond milk, work as well!)
- 1 C Water
- 1/3 C Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- plain greek yogurt
- In a blender, add the sweet potato and 1/2 C milk. Puree till smooth.
- In a saucepan, get water boiling. Stir in oatmeal. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the pureed sweet potato mixture.
- Add 1 C milk as mixture begins to thicken.
- Mix in syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- Top with a dollop of greek yogurt and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes are a great addition to breakfast because they can provide energy and are naturally sweet but the sugars are slowly released into the blood stream thus preventing blood sugar spikes.
If mixture is too thick add more milk or water.
If not enjoying immediately, divide into portions. To heat up, place in microwave safe bowl and add 1/4 C liquid to rehydrate. Microwave for 1 minute or until warm.