Sweet Potato Power Bowls are one of our favorite lunches. It’s packed with flavor and just good ingredients. You get such a great mixture of textures, all kinds of flavors ranging from sweet to spicy, and the best news: it’s good for you!
My favorite thing about these Sweet Potato Power Bowls is the endless number of ways you can change it up. You start with the base of lettuce, hearty brown rice, and a delicious vinaigrette but you can make it vegetarian, use lentils instead of beans, add tons of roasted veggies or none at all! This is a great way to meal prep and change up those flavors.
Need Another Healthy Idea? Try my recipe for Asian Marinated Flank Steak !Print
These Chipotle- Inspired Sweet Potato Power Bowls are packed with protein and tons of flavor. Customize it any way you like and don’t forget the delicious Honey Chipotle Dressing.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, diced
- avocado oil (or Olive oil, coconut oil)
- Protein: crockpot chicken, barbacoa, pork carnitas (Optional)
- 2 cans of Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1/2 a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt + pepper, to taste
Pico de Gallo (fresh or store bought)
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 3 C cooked brown rice
- 1 C cheddar cheese, shredded
- romaine lettuce, shredded
- avocado, sliced
- plantain chips
Honey- Chipotle Dressing
- 3/4 C Canola Oil (or grapeseed oil; NOT olive oil)
- 1/3 C red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Prepare your protein according to recipe.
- Prepare brown rice according to package.
- Prepare Pico de Gallo : stir together: jalapeno, tomato, red onion, limem and season with salt
- Chipotle Dressing: add all the ingredients for the dressing to the blender and whiz till smooth. Place in fridge.
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes: Drizzle oil over diced sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Roast the sweet potatoes in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, shaking the pan at least one. They are ready when for tender and starting to brown on edges.
- Prepare Pinto Beans: Heat up olive oil in skillet and toss in diced onion. Sauté till translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook till fragrant. Add pinto beans and vegetable oil. Turn heat down to medium. Season with cumin, chilis powder, oregano, paprika, and salt + pepper. Cook for 15 mins or till tender.
- Assemble bowls: A bed of lettuce, topped with beans, brown rice, cheddar cheese, roasted sweet potatoes, your protein, and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of dressing.
- Garnish with plantain chips, avocado, pico de gallo, etc.
- Makes about 4 Power Bowls.
Keywords: power bowl, sweet potato, vegetarian
To get a good texture on the sweet potatoes, make sure not to overcrowd the pan; that can cause them to steam instead of roast.
To change it up, add some more roasted vegetables: roasted zucchini, broccoli, butternut squash, sautéed spinach
If you aren’t fan of chipotle dressing, try a greek yogurt ranch.