Queso is my weakness. There is nothing better than spicy melted cheese, salty tortilla chips, and a margarita if we are being honest… I am an equal opportunity queso lover; with Velveeta or Creamy Queso Without Velveeta
I LOVE Velveeta, but I wanted to try and change it up this time. This recipe packs a lot of flavor from the pepper jack cheese, and the white American Cheese (found in the deli) give it a smooth creamy texture.
This cheese dip would be perfect served alongside my Chipotle Chicken Nachos!
One great thing about this recipe is it’s adaptability; If you want less heat— add less peppers, if it starts to tighten up or thicken too much— add more milk.
The key to a smooth dip is to keep the heat low, stir often, and instead of using shredded cheese, use blocks of cheese cut into 1-inch cubes.
Avoid pre-shredded cheese; sometimes it is coated in a non-caking agent that is not good for melting.
Creamy Queso without Velveeta
- 16 oz. Cheese Total
- ->8 oz. Monterrey Pepper Jack, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ->8 oz. White American Cheese, cut into 1- inch cubes
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1/2 C - 1C Whole Milk
- I can of Rotel tomatoes and diced chilies, drained
- 1/4 C White onion, diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- garnish with:
- Jalapeno, diced
- white onion, diced
- Add Monterrey Jack, American, and Cream cheese to saucepan. Melt over medium/ low heat. Stir frequently.
- Stir in Rotel, onion, and jalapeno.
- Add milk a little at a time if needed to thin the cheese dip. Top with dash of paprika and garnishes.
By all means, feel free to add Velveeta to this recipe. You can use it to substitute out the cream cheese. It will alter the texture so you might not need as much milk.
Serve the dip immediately. If it starts to thicken too much, reheat it and add more liquid.