This recipe features one of my favorite ingredients: Chipotle Peppers.
I love the spicy, tangy, and smoky flavor it adds. In this easy recipe, the chipotle peppers are the perfect compliment to my homemade bbq sauce. I make the sauce in the blender and pour it on top of chicken breast in the slow cooker. The flavors meld together and after a few hours, the tender chicken begins to shred. I used chicken, but this could easily be poured over a pork shoulder. Serve with taco fixings, on a sandwich, or even as nachos (perfect for Game Day!)
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken
- 2 pounds of chicken breast
- 3 chipotle peppers (if you don’t want spicy, try 2!)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 of an onion (or 1 tbsp onion powder)
- 1/4 C honey
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt*
- 1/2 tsp pepper*
- 1 C Low Sodium Chicken broth
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken broth to blender. Blend till smooth
- Place chicken breast in bottom of slow cooker. Pour sauce over top.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours of low for 6 hours.
* Add more salt and pepper after the food is done if necessary.
My old slow cooker gets very hot. Therefore my cooking times might not quite work for you. Use my cook times as a starting point. If the chicken isn’t falling apart, leave it in there! Chicken should shred easily!
To Prepare Nachos
- Preheat oven to broil. Cover a sheet pan with foil.
- Add one layer of tortilla chips to the pan.
- Top with chicken, beans (optional), shredded Monterrey jack cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add an additional layer of chips. Repeat step 3.
- Broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top with fresh cilantro and pico de gallo.
Serve with guacamole and sour cream on the side!