I forgot how much I loved buffalo chicken EVERYTHING. Wings, crispy sandwiches, wraps… you name it, I probably enjoy it. Well, I had never had buffalo chicken tostones so I had to remedy that of course. These bite size, flavorful, crunchy, buffalo chicken tostones make for the best lunch or even appetizer to serve your friends!
It’s a healthier version of buffalo chicken nachos. You get the same great flavor and satisfaction but with a healthier spin. Did I mention these buffalo chicken tostones are Whole30 approved? I didn’t want to rattle that off first as it might scare somebody off but yep, you can enjoy this and stay on track.
Make a big tray for game day and your friend’s will be none the wiser!
Buffalo Chicken Tostones
Yield 10 tostones
Crispy pan-fried plantains topped with shredded buffalo chicken and smashed avocado. Guilt free snacking at it's finest.
- 1 lb of chicken, cooked” and shredded
- 3/4 C buffalo sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 green plantain, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- salt to season
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Prepare Buffalo Sauce: In a small sauce pot, combine the buffalo sauce, apple cider vinegar, and ghee.
- Pour the prepared buffalo sauce over the shredded chicken. Toss till well coated.
- To prepare the tostones: Preheat a skillet on medium- high. Add coconut oil. Once oil is hot, carefully place the sliced plantain in the oil. Let cook for 3 minutes or till it begins to turn golden. Flip them. Let the other side cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove the plantains from the oil and smash with a flat cup or small dish. Once they have all been pressed flat, return to the oil. Cook for an additional 2 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. IMMEDIATELY sprinkle with salt.
- Prepare smashed avocado: Cut a ripe plantain in half. Discard pit. In a small bowl smash the avocado and season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Place a little buffalo chicken on the prepared plantain and top with the smashed avocado.
To cook the chicken:
- If you are using an Instant Pot: Cook the chicken breast in 1 C of chicken broth, on HIGH for 8 minutes. Do a manual release, and remove the chicken breast; shred.
- Buy a rotisserie chicken and shred.
- Boil the chicken breast in 2 C of water or chicken broth. Let cool and shred.