This recipe is pretty much fail proof. It’s also adaptable and delicious warm or cold. That’s why I’m dubbing this one a “Game Day Quiche”. Now my husband would never really consider a quiche a football food but stick with me— it’s stuffed with meat, tender and sweet onions, and plenty of cheese.
It’s everything they love really. If you’d like, you can add tons of other goodies but I decided to stick with the basics.
I even snuck in a little spinach.
Need some ideas on how to change it up? Try mushrooms, diced ham, kale, leeks instead of onions, herbs and gruyere cheese.
If I were serving this at home before a game, I would make some skillet potatoes and a huge fruit platter to serve it with. If this is for brunch, serve it with a simple side salad. It’s also good with fries. Don’t ask how I know this.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 5 eggs
- 1 C Milk
- 1/2 C bacon (3-4 Slices), chopped
- 1/3 C diced yellow onion
- 1 C cheese (I used 1/2 C sharp white cheddar and 1/2 C mild cheddar)
- handful of spinach (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 tsp minced garlic.
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- remove pie crust from the fridge to let warm up a little.
- Cook bacon in skillet. Set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp of fat.
- Sauté onions. Remove from skillet.
- cook spinach with minced garlic. Let wilt slightly but don’t overcook. You want it to still retain its fresh green color. Season with a little salt.
- In a medium bowl, whip eggs and milk till frothy. add 1/2 tsp of pepper. Stir in bacon, spinach, and onions.
- PREPARE pie crust* Gently unroll pie crust over a pie dish.
- pour mixture into pie crust. Bake for 35- 45mins.
- When the quiche is done, it will still be a tad tender in the middle. As it cools if will finish setting. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
I used a deep pie dish. If you want a more full pie, add an egg and 1/4 C Milk.
I like a crispy crust. If you don’t, cook for the minimum 35 minutes.
Every oven is different; if you crust starts to brown too quickly, tent it with foil and add 4 or 5 minutes to the cook time.
Here’s a great video for how to create different pie crusts.
Another brunch favorite that’s perfect for tailgating: Coconut French Toast Casserole!
[…] you are looking for some easy pregame recipes try my Gameday Quiche, Coconut French Toast Casserole, or Baked Pumpkin […]