Coming at you again with a new sweet potato recipe- these delicious Oatmeal + Sweet Potato Muffins! Have I told you just how much I love sweet potatoes? Sweet Potato Casserole, Sweet Potato Oatmeal, Sweet Potato Hash, Sweet Potato Sloppy Joe Fries, are all recipes already featured here on FirstandFull.com.
This recipe was actually created for my kids. I was desperately looking for way to add a few nutrients to their meals and what’s better than a muffin for breakfast.
Oatmeal + Sweet Potato Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
Nutrient dense muffins packed with roasted sweet potatoes fortified with old fashioned oats and sweetened with a combination of natural sweeteners! Prefect for breakfast on the go or little picky eaters!
- 1/2 C cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 3/4 c milk (dairy or non-daily will work)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 C apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp oil or melted butter (I used melted coconut oil)
- 1/2 C brown sugar or 1/3* C if you want to really reduce the sugar*
- 1 C old fashioned oats
- 1 C all purpose flour (I’m sure a gluten-free flour blend would work as well, though I haven’t tried it)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin tray by spraying with non-stick spray or muffin liners.
- In one bowl, combine the wet ingredients including the mashed sweet potato, milk, egg, apple sauce, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the brown sugar. Mixture should be well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients including: oats, four, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir just till the dry ingredients incorporate. Don’t over mix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tray.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes. To test doneness, insert a toothpick in the middle. When removed, it will come out clean.
To prevent excess dirty dishes, you could also mix in the blender. First, add the wet ingredients to the blender. Pulse till smooth. Then, add the dry ingredients and pulse till JUST incorporated.
You could also add a sprinkle of turbinado sugar and cinnamon on the top for a little crunch.
This recipe was short and sweet! If you would like to see more like this, let me know!