Now that season is back in full swing and the guys are traveling almost every week, I enjoy most of my meals alone. (My daughter is in a picky stage right now; more on that later) This cajun chicken pasta is a great meal to prepare for one. It can all be done in a lone skillet and takes maybe thirty minutes. Of course it’s adaptable for a couple or families but this is dedicated to the women holding it down by themselves this season!
This recipe is full of flavor and heat! If heat isn’t your thing, Decrease the amount of cayenne pepper in the cajun seasoning mix.
If you would like to lighten it up, sub the half and half for milk. It might just take longer to reduce. You could also sprinkle a tbsp of flour on top and stir well. It will combine with the butter and slightly thicken the sauce.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
1 chicken breast 1/2 lb of shrimp (Optional) 1 red bell pepper, sliced 1 green bell pepper, sliced 1 green onion chopped 1 clove of garlic, minced or 1 tbsp of garlic powder Linguini pasta 1/2 C shredded parmesan 1/2 C of half and half cajun seasoning* 2 tbsp of butter 1/2 Diced roma tomato (optional) 1 tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese for serving fresh parsley salt to taste
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 lb of shrimp (Optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- Linguini pasta
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan
- 1/2 C of half and half
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 Diced roma tomato (optional)
- 1 tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese for serving
- fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- Cajun Seasoning
- You are more than welcome to use a seasoning from the store but Cajun seasoning is very easy to make at home sans all the added salt.
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Season your chicken breast liberally with cajun seasoning. In a skillet, cook chicken in melted butter on medium heat till cooked throughout. Remove from pan. Slice into thin strips.
- (OPTIONAL) If adding shrimp, season with cajun mixture and saute shrimp for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add sliced bell peppers, green onion and 1 tsp of cajun seasoning to the same pan. Sauté till veggies begin to soften. Toss in the minced garlic. Return sliced chicken back to the skillet.
- Stir in the half and half. Let simmer till it begins to thicken. Toss in the the shredded parmesan.
- Now it’s time to mix everything together. Make sure to add your shrimp back to the skillet along with the cooked pasta. Give it a good toss and serve with additional parmesan and fresh chopped parsley!
1. If cooking for more than one or you want some leftovers, double all the ingredients.
2. Make a batch of the cajun seasoning and store in an airtight container or plastic bag so you don’t have to remake it every time. A pinch of it is also great on eggs in the morning!