Slab Pies are THE summer time dessert hack you didn’t know you were looking for! This Summer Berry Slab Pie is less fussy than a regular pie, not quite as fancy as a fruit tart but the EASIEST way to feed the masses!
Picture this: fresh whipped cream folded into sweetened cream cheese, topped with seasonal berries that have been tossed with a little sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. All of that dumped on a crispy, flaky pie dough and chilled. It’s light and refreshing on a hot summer day and barely requires you to turn on the oven.
This is a go-to if I need a dessert to feed the masses. It’s perfect for picnics, parties, and barbecues.
This is also a great recipe where you can take control of the added sugar. As you mix up the cream cheese mixture taste and adjust accordingly. If you need to, you can also skip the sugar added to the berries!
Summer Berry Slab Pie
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: dessert
Crispy pie crust, spread with a cool and creamy mixture topped with fresh sweetened berries. The easiest summer dessert to feed to a crowd.
- 2 pie crusts, pre-made works well or here is the recipe to one of my favorites
- 2- 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 C whipped cream, fresh is preferred
- 1/4 C powdered sugar or maple syrup
- 2 pounds of berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, preferred*)
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest
- Stack the 2 pie crusts and roll out to the size of your cookie sheet. Carefully transfer to the baking sheet folding down any edges to resemble a crust. DO NOT SPRAY YOUR BAKING PAN.
- Bake for 12- 15 mins at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 mins.
- Prepare cream cheese spread: mix the cream cheese with the vanilla extract and powdered sugar till smooth.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Prepare the berries: Rinse & dry the berries. Toss them with the sugar and lemon zest. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
- Assembly: Spread the cream cheese on the cooled pie crust. Using a slotted spoon, gently place the berries on top of the cream cheese spread. Avoid adding too much of the syrup from the sweetened berry topping.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!
Keywords: dessert, berries, summer, fruit, slab pie