I am just so excited for Christmas! Are you ready?? I’m sharing my Toffee Brownies today that are great for this time of the year. Santa seems to really like them, too!
Growing up, we would leave a slice of pecan pie and a glass of milk for Santa. I don’t remember leaving many cookies…
This year, we will be leaving out a toffee brownie and a glass of milk. Get excited Santa!
The steps are a little extensive but well worth the effort!
Santa's Favorite Treat: Toffee Brownies
Yield 24 brownies
Decadent Chocolate brownie topped with delicious melted toffee pieces!
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 oz. baker’s chocolate
- 1 C Butter, softened
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 C toffee pieces ( I used Trader Joes Chocolate covered toffee bars, crunched up)
- 1/2 C Toffee pieces for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your pan and grease the sides.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a double broiler (a.k.a a large glass bowl on top of a pot of steaming water), stir together chocolate and butter till melted and smooth. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove bowl from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time until mixture is combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the flour to the mixture a bit at a time. Stir in 1/4 C chopped toffee pieces.
- DO NOT OVER MIX. <— This is crucial to the texture of the brownies!
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for approx. 30 minutes. Every oven is different so watch your brownies closely and use a toothpick to test doneness. It should come out clean with no crumbs or batter when done.
- Remove from oven. Add remaining 1/2 C of toffee pieces on top. Let cool completely.
Tips for Toffee Brownies
1. if you don’t have a Trader Joes nearby, use Heath pieces.
2. If you would like a more decadent brownie, use Ghirardelli’s Semisweet Chocolate Chips
3. Try dividing the mixture into small cast iron skillets. Modify the baking time, and top with vanilla ice cream. Voila! Skillet Brownie a la Mode.
If you are looking for a more traditional cookie recipe, try my Southern Tea Cakes, Updated