Crispy, fried shrimp tossed in a creamy, spicy asian sauce is definitely one of my guiltiest pleasures. This is my way of cleaning things up a bit and keeping it light for those hot summer nights!
I served it over some 8 minute fried rice and with a little crunchy vegetable mix on the side for a nice serving of veggies. Dinner doesn’t always have to be complicated.
Season and Grill the shrimp. Brush with 4 ingredient sauce. check.
Fry up the rice in a super hot skillet. check.
Find some veggies in the fridge. check.
Serve everything in a nice big bowl and enjoy the minimal clean up!
Excited to bring you another easy 30 minute weeknight meal. There was “Eggroll in a bowl” and now there is the Bang Bang Shrimp in a Bowl. Not quite as catchy…
Delicious, Creamy, sweet, spicy, and a little salty bang bang sauce brushed of tender grilled shrimp served with a bowl of hearty greens and 8 minute fried rice.
- 12-15 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt + pepper
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 C Homemade Mayo (the recipe I use is in the NOTE)
- 3 tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- honey, to taste
- 2 C leftover brown rice
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg,
- coconut aminos, to taste (start with 3 tsp)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 dashes fish sauce (optional)
- brussel sprout slaw mix
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Prepare fried rice: Pour 2 tbsp of avocado oil into a smoking hot skillet. Add yellow onion and stir continuously. Add chopped carrots (if using). When onion begins to brown and carrots start to soften, add garlic. Crack egg into the middle of the skillet. Stir rapidly to scramble the egg. Stir in 2 C of rice and frozen peas (if using). Season with coconut aminos, sesame oil, and fish sauce (optional). Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Prepare Bang Bang Sauce: Combine mayo, sweet chile sauce, chile garlic sauce, and honey in a bowl. stir or whisk till well incorporated.
- Prepare shrimp: Thread the shrimp onto skewers. Season with salt and pepper. grill till opaque.* Remove shrimp from grill and brush generously with the bang bang sauce.
- Serve over brussell slaw mix with a side of the fried rice and an extra drizzle of bang bang sauce. Top with sliced green onion. Enjoy!
I grilled my shrimp outside on the gas grill but you could easily use a grill pan.
- 1-1/4 cup of light olive oil (do not use extra virgin olive oil), divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced
Keywords: stir fry, bowl, grill, shrimp