There are SO many things they don’t tell you when you become a mom. I could do a whole post on it, but some where in the top 10 would be the fact that when you get sick, you WILL have to make your own chicken soup. If you want a bowl of homemade chicken soup like you most likely dish up for your family when they are under the weather, you better drag your blanket and box of tissues in the kitchen and get it done.
Don’t get me wrong, my husband was more than willing to pick up a can of the best stuff out there and warm it up for me, but there is something to be said about homemade chicken soup.
If this sounds like you, this easy, hands off Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup is the recipe you NEED. If your significant other halfway knows their way around the kitchen (basically, can locate the Instant Pot), send them this recipe, sip on some tea, and muster up some excitement because healing is around the corner.
This soup is comforting, surprisingly flavorful, and bright due to the extra squeeze of lemon juice. Ginger and lemon are proven agents of healing and this soup features both!
Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Yield 6-8 Bowls
This soup is comforting, surprisingly flavorful, and bright due to the healthy squeeze of lemon juice.
- 1 carton of vegetable broth (32 oz.), low sodium
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- 4 C of water (32 oz.)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced
- mixed herbs (parsley, chives, dill) thyme of would have been great!
- parsips (optional)
- minced ginger
- minced garlic
- chopped parsley
- zucchini, sliced thinly into ribbons*
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Add the first 7 ingredients to the instant pot (chicken included). HIGH Pressure 5 minutes. Manual release. The chicken wont be completely cooked yet.
- Fish out the herbs, whole garlic cloves, and onion (or you could leave it).
- Add the chopped veggies (EXCEPT the zucchini) and do HIGH pressure for 3 minutes with Manual release or use the SAUTE feature, lid off for 10 minutes. This insures the veggies don’t overcook and turn mushy. Season with salt and pepper. Add the fresh lemon juice.
- Remove chicken breast and shred with 2 forks. Add back to the soup.
- To serve, place zucchini ribbons or noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Ladle the soup over the top and garnish with a bunch of chopped parsley and an additional squeeze of lemon juice.
*optional; use cooked noodles if desired.