This is one of my go-to breakfast items when I plan on hosting a large group of people. It’s sweet and tender with a crunchy top while also being very filling. It’s got all the flavors of a decadent cinnamon roll with a quarter of the effort. Everything can be prepped ahead of time and just popped in the oven an hour before you are ready to serve. Skip the pancakes and try this Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole.
What set’s THIS Stuffed Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole apart from other regular French Toast bakes or Casseroles? It’s the decant addition of smooth maple flavored cream cheese sandwiched between the layers.
I have used just about every type of stale bread possible. I have tried a loaf of Brioche, leftover baguettes, croissants and Challah Bread― they ALL work. My favorite was definitely the Challah and Brioche but any choice would be delicious. The best bread is stale bread, so use what you have.
Stuffed Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
Yield 8-10 Serving
Think homemade cinnamon rolls without all the work. Delicious French toast casserole stuffed with sweet cream cheese topped with a nutty, crunch streusel.
- 6- 8 C Stale Challah Bread (or brioche, croissants, baguette, etc.), roughly torn into 2 inch pieces
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C pecans, chopped
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, cold + cut into small 1/2 cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11x13 baking dish with non-stick spray or lightly coat with butter.
- Prepare Custard Mixture: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and sugar.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Filling: In a separate bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, maple syrup, and brown sugar.
- Layer 1/2 the bread pieces in the prepared baking dish. Pour 1 C of the the well- mixed egg mixture over the bread pieces.
- With a cookie scoop or spoon, drop dollops of the softened cream cheese mixture all over the bread pieces.
- Repeat steps 4 + 5.
- Prepare Crunchy Topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, chopped pecans and bubbled butter. Use a food processor, pastry cutter, 2 knives, or your hands to combine the mixture till crumbly. The mixture should resemble pebbles.
- Sprinkle the crunchy topping over the entire dish.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or till the top is golden brown*! The cook time depends on your baking dish**.
- Remove from oven and let casserole cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve as is, or with a drizzle of maple syrup.
*If your casserole begins to brown to quickly, gently cover with foil and continue to bake.
**If you used a deep baking dish, the casserole might need a little longer in the oven.
Courses Breakfast/ Brunch