To all my Kansas City readers: HAPPY RED FRIDAY! In honor of this weekend’s upcoming home game, I thought I would share a new tailgating recipe. Bacon Cheeseburger Hatch Green Chile Sliders (I’m really working on more creative names, I promise.) Basically, it’s a sweet Hawaiian roll, stuffed with a mini hamburger patty, roasted Hatch Green Chilies, sweet sautéed onions, crisp bacon, and melty cheese.
This has been an incredible week! If you follow me on social media, you might have seen a few pictures from our big surprise! Jeff and I filmed a short cooking segment set to air before the Monday night Chiefs v. Patriots game. We had a great time cooking together and are super excited to see how it all turns out. I can’t spill too much, but there are a few more projects in the works! If you haven’t noticed, the blog has gotten a nice little makeover. It’s MUCH easier to navigate and all the recipes are organized in a nice little archive. Still working on a few things, but I am really pleased with the new professional look.
It brought back great memories of Scottsdale, Arizona this past summer and the delicious food tour we went on. Hatch green chile sliders was one of Rusty Spur’s specialties. For the remainder of our trip, I remember trying to find a way back to that charming saloon in Old Town. Their burger was quite simple so I decided add bacon and sweet onions. It’s always good to add bacon and sautéed onions—remember that.
I encourage you to whip some of these up if you plan on tailgating or hosting a watch party this weekend. They are only in season for so long!
Hatch Green Chile Sliders
Bacon Cheeseburger Hatch Green Chile Sliders
- Yield: 12
- Category: Tailgating Approved
A nice spin on the traditional tailgating food! Hatch green chills add amazing flavor to the sliders.
- 2 Decent Size Hatch Chilies
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 Pack of Sweet Hawaiian Rolls
- 6 slices of Bacon
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Slices of American or Cheddar Cheese
- Burger Seasoning:
- 1 tsp of Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- First, roast your Green Chilies. I chose to throw mine in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes. When I saw the skin starting to burn and blister, I would turn them over. Once the peppers are fragrant and fully blistered, place them in a large sealable plastic bag. This will help you remove the skin. Once cool and skinless, dice the peppers and set them aside.
- While the peppers roast, combine your ground beef and burger seasoning. Make small, slider- style patties.
- Next, slice the yellow onion and toss it in a sauté pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sauté till translucent and soft.
- Cook your bacon.
- Grill the ground beef patties. I cooked them on the stove for about 5 or 6 minutes. When they are almost done, top with a quarter slice of cheese.
- To assemble the sliders, split the roll in half, add grilled onions on the bottom, followed by bacon, the burger and cheese, topped with the roasted Hatch Chilis. Enjoy!
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg