I have since simplified the recipe and added Instant Pot instructions! The Instant Pot allows you to pressure cook frozen meat and have dinner on the table in less than 3 hours– FROM THE FREEZER!Print
Tender Italian beef comes together in less than 3 hours (from Freezer to Table) thanks to the Instant Pot!
- 4 lb Chuck Roast (frozen*)
- 2 packets of Italian Seasoning Mix
- 3 C Beef Stock
- 4 pepperocini peppers + 2/3 C liquid from jar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp pepper, to start*
- Add the chuck roast, Italian Seasoning Packets, Beef Stock, Pepperocinis and liquid from the jar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Cook: MANUAL/ HIGH PRESSURE 2 hours and 15 minutes with NATURAL RELEASE.
- Once the valve has released, shred beef, and season with additional salt + pepper, and pepperocinis.
- The cook instructions are for frozen beef. I can’t tell you how long to cook a thawed one as I haven’t tried it yet in the Instant Pot.
I let my beef sit in the instant pot beyond the cook time and natural release. If you can, I suggest leaving it for an additional 30 minutes after the valve has released. Beef should fall apart easily!
It will take 20-25 minutes for the pressure to build. That’s fine!
Keywords: beef, chicago, italian, shredded, instant pot
Remember when we went to Chicago a couple weeks ago?
Well I had one of the best sandwiches I had ever eaten. The Italian Beef. We got it from Portillos and I almost cried when we didn’t have time to stop for one more on our way to the airport. It was messy, flavorful, and satisfyingly simple. After my first bite, I was already thinking of how I could recreate the perfect sandwich. Well, yesterday I was looking for a delicious no fuss dinner idea and I immediately thought about Italian Beef Sandwiches.Print
- 4 lb Chuck roast
- 2 packets of Dry Italian Seasoning Mix
- 3 C Beef Broth (Low Sodium)
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- Hoagie Rolls
- Provolone cheese slices (optional)
- Green bell pepper (optional)
- Banana Peppers (optional)
- Mayo (optional)
- Italian giardanara (optional)
- In a bowl, mix all the dry seasoning and beef broth.
- Place Chuck Roast in crockpot and dump mixture on top.
- Cook on Low for at least 8 hours. Will fall apart easily when done.
A couple variations On Left, sweet peppers. On Right, Melted Provolone and Au Jus
1. I prepared mine in the over on 200 degrees but this can easily be made in the crockpot.
2. To cook the green bell peppers, toss them in the pot for the last hour of cooking.
3. Serve with a small side Au Jus (The cooking liquid) for dipping!