I have MASTERED breakfast potatoes. All of them; from sweet potato hash and home fries, to 4 ingredients (Whole30 Compliant) skillet hash browns and now these easy hash brown patties. They are flavorful, crispy, and FREEZER FRIENDLY.
One more time for the speed readers: “THEY ARE FREEZER FRIENDLY!”
I like to make an entire batch of the babies, freeze them on a tray with some parchment paper, and eventually transfer them to a bag for easy storage. To reheat, all you have to do is place in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes, or toss in you air fryer for 7 minutes.
Hash Brown Patties [Freezer- Friendly, Whole30]
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40
- Yield: 10-12 hash browns
- Category: breakfast
- Method: pan fry
Crispy, well- seasoned, hash brown patties pan fried and served with a sprinkling of salt! Make them ahead of time, and pull them out of the freezer when you’re ready!
- 5 Russet Potatoes, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 C Almond meal (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot Powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6 tbsp ghee
- Shred the potatoes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined with a tea towel. SQUEEZE all the moisture out of the potatoes.*
- Dump the potatoes in a clean bowl. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add beaten egg, almond meal, and arrowroot powder. Mix everything together with your hands.
- Form small patties (approx. 1/2 C of potato mixture). Place on a sheet tray till read to fry.
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tbsp ghee. Add patties. Make sure you don’t crowd the pan!
- Cook for 5 minutes undisturbed, then flip! Cook other side for approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove to paper towel lined tray. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Repeat with remaining patties adding an additional tbsp of ghee to the skillet as necessary.
* A quicker method I have since discovered is to rinse the shredded potatoes in cold water and run through the salad spinner!
** To Freeze additional patties, lay them flat on a tray and place them in the freezer for at least an hour. Once frozen solid, transfer to a freezer- safe bag.
Keywords: hash browns, potatoes, skillet, freezer