This easy, health(ier) Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe was developed while we were out of town and I was looking to prepare a home cooked meal in an unfamiliar kitchen with limited ingredients and supplies. I mention this to reinforce the simplicity of this recipe! It’s also customizable and FREEZER FRIENDLY!!!!
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
If you are looking to avoid pasta but craving the comfort associated with a big slice of lasagna, baked ziti, or a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, this is the recipe for you. I roasted a spaghetti squash and while that was happening I prepared a clean, easy, meat sauce in a big skillet on the stove. I then incorporate the prepared squash in the meat sauce and layer it with a small amount of Italian cheese and bake till bubbly. Pretty easy right?
This is a great weeknight meal with minimal ingredients and can be altered numerous ways. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, ditch the ground beef and Italian sausage and bulk it up with chopped kale and spinach. You can easily substitute the cheese for a vegan alternative. If you need more veggies, add some mushrooms or diced carrots. Another idea would be to layer thin slices of zucchini in the casserole.
Healthy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Yield 8 servings
An easy meal with roasted spaghetti squash, and easy marinara sauce, layered with a little cheese and baked till bubbly and delicious.
- 1 spaghetti squash, roasted and removed from shell
- 35 oz. Marinara Sauce*
- 1 lb of ground beef
- ~ .75 lb of Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for browning
- 1/2 a yellow onion, diced
- 3 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan (or an additional 1/2 C of mozzarella)
- salt + pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In 1 tbsp of olive oil, saute chopped onions and minced garlic for 2-3 minutes or till fragrant and translucent.
- Add the ground beef and Italian sausage. Brown and drain excess fat.
- Return meat mixture to pan and add marinara sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings. Sauce should be stir-able― not too thick. Don’t forget you still have to add the squash! Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add the spaghetti squash. Stir till well incorporated.
- Prepare baking dish: spray bottom and sides of a 9x13 casserole dish.
- To layer casserole: Add meat sauce/ squash mixture to bottom of pan. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat and finish with a layer of cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till bubbly. If casserole starts to brown prematurely, tent with foil and remove for the final few minutes. To brown the cheese, broil for 3-4 minutes just watch closely!
To Freeze: Assemble casserole just don’t bake! wrap with plastic wrap followed by foil and store in freezer for up to 3 months. No thawing necessary- remove plastic wrap and bake at 375 degrees covered with foil for 1 hour.
Look for a sauce with NO added sugar. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list and make sure it doesn’t mention sugar. We really like Rao’s Homemade Sauce.
If interested in preparing an additional pan for the freezer add 1 1/2 C of crushed tomatoes and double the tomato paste and seasonings.