I was actually looking to recreate a popular lemon bar that’s just too expensive to justify buying often, but I ended up with this winner! This lemon poppy seed granola is incredibly versatile. It makes great no-bake granola bars but also toasts up beautifully in the oven and is the perfect topping for granola, fresh fruit and a little honey, or just to munch on by the handful. It’s just sweet enough that it doesn’t feel like dessert but more like a little treat.
I like to keep homemade granola on hand when I have the time because it’s just so much better than the store bought stuff! You can regulate the sugar and add different mix ins if you want. HINT HINT: Next time, I’m tossing in a few dried cranberries or blueberries with this Lemon Chia Seed Granola for a fun mix of sweet and tart!Print
This lemon chia seed granola is a healthier alternative to that jumbo lemon poppy seed muffin you were tempted to buy the other day! It’s bright, crunchy, a little chewy, and just sweet enough!
- 1/2 C cashew butter
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 C rolled oats
- 3/4 C puffed quinoa or puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 C sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine the cashew butter, ghee, and honey in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds or until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, puffed quinoa, sliced almonds, and chia seeds. Stir in the melted mixture till all the ingredients are coated well.
- If making crunchy granola: preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dump onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure to spread mixture out. Bake for 15-18 minutes; stir occasionally!
- If making no-bake granola bars*: Press the mixture into a parchment lined 8×8 pan. Refrigerate for 3hours+. Slice into 8 bars.
You might need to add an additional 1/4 C of cashew butter to make them hold together a little better. Depends on the brand of cashew butter. You could add an additional 1 tbsp of honey for more sweetness.
Love all things lemon? Me too! Try these recipes next: