Fresh blueberries bright lemon zest, all tucked in an incredibly light muffin. These beautiful blueberry lemon muffins are my favorite way to finish off a pint of blueberries. They aren’t too sweet or dense, still fluffy, light, and packed with flavor, The lemon is my favorite addition to an otherwise above average blueberry muffin.
I consider lemons a pantry staple and always have a few on hand ready to slice and toss in a glass of water, add to fresh seafood, or to bake with of course!
Muffins are something I typically make at the beginning of the week for my daughter or as a sweet treat for Game Day brunch.
One of my favorite lemon recipes: Crispy Lemon Chicken
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
Fresh blueberries bright lemon zest, all baked in a light fluffy muffin.
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 C coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 C apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/3 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut oil, apple sauce, egg, milk, fresh lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla extract with a whisk. The mixture might appear “separated” but don't worry!
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour salt, and baking baking powder.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet being sure to barely mix; you just want MOST of the flour to be mixed in. A couple lumps is ok.
- Finally, add the fresh blueberries and lemon zest. Once again, barely stir.
- Portion in a nonstick muffin tray or use muffin liners.
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes. toothpick trick.
If you give this muffin recipe a try, let me know in the comments below! Don’t forget you can pin this recipe to try later– look for the Pinterest icon hovering over the picture.