Update, February 2019: This Homemade Peach Pie recipe is part of the Black Food Blogger Virtual Potluck in honor of Black History Month. Shoutout to Meiko at Meiko and the Dish for the invite! See the list of all the talented bloggers & their recipes at the end of this post.
It may not seem like peach pie season quite yet, but it’ll be here before we know it. I promise.
Everyone always talks about blueberry pie, apple pie, pecan pie…but they never mention peach pie. Well—I’m here to talk about it! This peach pie is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN.
A flaky pie crust, filled with peaches tossed in brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little lemon juice. The filling starts to bubble, the latticed top starts to brown, and the entire house smells like Sunday after church.
It’s not like my mom was making a ton of pies after church, I just imagine this is what my nana’s house would smell like after church.
Picture this: A nice, big slice of peach pie, topped with old fashioned vanilla ice cream, and a NAP.
Now you want to try my peach pie, don’t you?!
Homemade Peach Pie
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1:45
- Yield: 8 slices
Homemade Peach pie: Buttery, flaky pie crust, filled with ripe peaches tossed with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 1 C Bread Flour
- 1/3 C Cake Flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1-3/4 sticks (14 tbsp) of COLD unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 or 5 large Peaches, peeled and sliced*
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- ¼ C Flour
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 egg, whisked
- Sanding Sugar
- Combine bread flour, cake flour, and salt in the food processor. Pulse a couple times till combined. Add cubed butter. Pulse 8-10 times or till the mixture is crumbly. It will still be relatively loose!
- Dump the crust mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough till it starts to form a large ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in parchment paper, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees.
- PREPARE filling: add peaches, brown sugar, white sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, and cinnamon to a bowl. Gently stir till combined. Set Aside.
- Remove pie dough from the fridge. Roll into a 12 inch circle. Transfer to pie dish. Trim the excess.
- ADD the peaches to the pie crust.
- CREATE your lattice strips. Roll excess pie dough out and cut 1 inch thick strips. HERE is a more in depth tutorial on how to create the lattice pattern as pictured above.
- BRUSH the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- BAKE for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- COOL and set for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
You can also use canned peaches or frozen peaches. If using canned, use 4 cans, and make sure to drain ALL the syrup off the peaches before adding the other ingredients. If using frozen peaches, use 30 oz let them thaw completely and add an extra ¼ C of white sugar.
Black Food Blogger Virtual Potluck
I am excited to announce my involvement with this year’s Black Food Blogger Virtual Potluck. Each year during Black History Month, some of my black food bloggers come together to celebrate diversity and good food! I was asked to join the party and I am honored! Check out some of the other amazing recipes from some of my fellow food bloggers.
Beautiful Eats & Things | Okra, Corn, & Tomato Chicken Stew
Beyond The Bayou Blog | Mackerel Balls With Biscuits & Cane Syrup
B Sugar Mama | Red Beans and Rice
Butter Be Ready | Caribbean- Curry Goat with Rice and Peas
Cooks with Soul | Boudin balls
D.M.R. Fine Foods | Spice Roasted Chicken
Dash of Jazz | Soul Food Power Bowl
Dish it with Tisha | Jamaican Curry Chicken
Domestic Dee | Chicken Sliders
Eat.Drink.Frolic. | Bourbon + sweet potato pie
First and Full | Homemade Peach Pie
Food Fidelity | Nashville Hot Shrimp Sandwich
Food is Love Made Edible | Smothered Okra with Chicken and Smoked Sausage
Foodie In New York | Chess Pie
Immaculate Bites | Pimento Cheese
Kaluhi’s Kitchen | Pilipili & Rosemary marinated mbuzi choma with Kachumbari
Kenneth Temple | Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
Marisa Moore Nutrition | Sweet and Spicy Roasted Cabbage
Meiko And The Dish | Hot Buttered Rum Biscuits
My Life Runs On Food | Southern Style Caesar Salad
Rosalynn Daniels | Osso Bucco
Savory Thoughts | Haitian Patty
Simply LaKita | Fried Okra
Sweet Tea & Thyme | Spiced Peach Shortcakes
That Girl Cooks Healthy | Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce
The Hungry Hutch | Cornbread Dressing
The Seasoning Bottle | Guava Short Ribs
Whisk It Real Gud | Banana Bread