This lighted up one pot cajun pasta is packed with flavor and veggies. It’s tossed in a light sauce that cuts most of the calories found in the traditional cream- based version.
Have you ever been to Friday’s? They had one on campus at our university and it was considered our “nice” date night spot. We were college students on a budget but if we got the chance to eat out, Friday’s was one of our only choices. I used to ALWAYS order the creamy cajun pasta. Calories were a non-issue as we were both collegiate athletes and I would easily put away a plate of pasta and still be in the mood for a brownie sundae.
Well, things have changed. Jeff eats much healthier to perform at the highest level and I just don’t burn calories like I did on a fitness-based practice day. I have to be much more cognizant of the meals we eat and I was eager to create a lighter version of this meal ASAP.
Now if you want the creamy, cheesy, cajun chicken pasta, I have a recipe for that too…
One Pot Cajun Pasta
We still love that version we just save it for special occasions. This lighter version is guilt-free and can be enjoyed anytime. Smoked sausage, roasted garlic, and a chicken broth based sauce are what make this recipe shine!
Lighter, One Pot Cajun Pasta with Sausage
Yield 5 serving
A lighter, one pot cajun pasta with smoked sausage, tons of vegetables, a little parmaesan and a smooth sauce.
- 1 lb of sausage, sliced (I used kielbasa)
- 3 cups of penne or bowtie pasta
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 C mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 C spinach
- 1/2 C broccoli, steamed*
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp +2 tbsp (for garnish) parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Prepare the 3 cups of pasta according to package.
- Brown sausage in pan. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
- Turn heat down to medium, and add butter, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and roasted garlic. Stir till onions and peppers begin to soften. About 4- 5 minutes.
- Season with the cajun seasoning and stir till coated.
- Add 2 tbsp of flour.
- Stir in the chicken broth. Mixture will begin to bubble.
- add the spinach and cover the pan till it begins to wilt down; approx. 3 - 4 mins.
- Stir in the milk and parmesan cheese.
- Now, add the steamed broccoli, sausage, and cooked pasta. Stir till everything is well combined and coated with the sauce.
- If necessary, add salt and pepper. Serve with fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese.
To quickly steam broccoli, add to a microwave safe dish and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 2-3 minutes.
There is also a quick 3 minute cooking video detailing just how EASY this dish is!
Make sure you click over and subscribe to my channel so you don’t miss anything!