I don’t think I have a favorite cookie anymore. These Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies are making it hard for me to choose! Ever since I started my little cookie project, I LOVE them all. The Mini Chocolate Chip cookies are a perfect little pick me up where as Texas Tea Cakes are there to remind me of my mama and all my aunts reminiscing over their childhood. The peanut butter cookies with Reese’s cups are rich and perfect straight out of the oven; a decadent experience when baked in a cast iron skillet topped with ice cream!
Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies
These snickerdoodles are the mature version of the little ones you got from the cafeteria back in elementary and middle school. Those snickerdoodles were just blah; barely sweet, never enough cinnamon, and kind of flat flat. THESE snickerdoodle cookies are sweet, warm, thick and chewy. They are SO good.
Yield 18 cookies
A Delicious snickerdoodle cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar and baked till thick and chewy!
- 1 C butter, softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Plus, more cinnamon and sugar to roll the dough in: 3 tbsp sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream the 1 C butter, 3/4 C sugar, and 1/2 C brown sugar together till pale; about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg + egg yolk and vanilla extract to the creamed mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients the the wet and mix until barely combined.
- Place dough 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. The edges will be brown but the center still soft. Let cool for 10 minutes to let the center set.
For the thickest cookie, refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours.