We are a devout pecan pie family. By that, I mean pecan pie must be on the Thanksgiving table as well as Christmas Dinner table. I remember many a years of leaving a slice of pecan pie and an ice cold coke for Santa because my mom assured me it was his favorite. I also have fond memories of picking up pecans out of the yard at my grandparent’s house. I would take this old aluminum pail and collect as many pecans as I could find. We would then dump them out on the kitchen table and my nana would crack them and it was my job to pick the hulls and find the delectable pecan pieces. I always got in trouble for eating more than I reserved!
All that being said, it was a little risky to propose these pecan pie bars to the family for Thanksgiving; they were expecting pie. Well, they LOVED them. They were similar enough to the pie we love but updated with a delicious brown sugar shortbread crust and packed with pecan pieces.
Pecan Pie Bars
- 3 C Flour
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C unsalted, cold butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 C pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the shortbread crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Slice the cold butter into 1 inch cubes and cut into the dry ingredients. It will resemble small crumbs.
- Prepare a 11X15 baking dish. Make sure its something with at least 2 inch sides to prevent a sticky mess! Line the dish with parchment paper or foil.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling: in a bowl, combine the eggs, corn syrup, white and brown sugar, vanilla extract and the pecan pieces. Spread evenly over the baked crust. Fill in holes with additional pecan pieces.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until mixture is completely set and beginning to crack on top.