The kids get a decently balanced breakfast that my daughter probably wont finish in which I nibble on with a cup of coffee.
I’m trying to get better. When I meal prep, life is a lot easier. Frittatas, basically crustless quiches, can be filled with ANYTHING.
This Chorizo and Caramelized Onion Frittata has been our favorite frittata combination so far! Smoked chorizo, thinly sliced sweet peppers, and melt-in-your mouth caramelized onions come together in the baked breakfast perfection. I tossed in some leftover spinach for good measure and was able to guarantee an EASY yet delicious breakfast for at least 3 days!
Heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave as you run out the door or serve with a green salad and smashed potatoes and call it brunch. Either way everyone will be impressed with this delicious dish.
Smoked Chorizo and Caramelized Onion Frittata
Yield 10 pieces
This has been our favorite frittata combination so far! Smoked chorizo, thinly sliced sweet peppers, and melt-in-your mouth caramelized onions come together in the baked breakfast perfection.
- 1 pound of chorizo (I used smoked chorizo; it initially came in link form but i just cut it out of it’s casing!)
- 6-8 sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 C spinach
- 1 tbsp oil
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 C unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) adds a “cheesy” flavor
- pico de gallo
- guacamole or just smashed avocado
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 11x14 oven safe pan with parchment paper.
- Sauté the sliced yellow onion in the oil on low or medium-low till they begin to soften and turn a caramel brow color. This will take 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Brown the chorizo in a skillet.
- Whip the 12 eggs and 1/4 C of unsweetened coconut milk till combined well. The mixture should look creamy and frothy. Season with nutritional yeast (optional), salt and pepper.
- Layer all the vegetables i.e. caramelized onions, spinach, sliced peppers, in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables.
- Lastly, spread the cooked chorizo evenly over the frittata.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the center is cooked throughout. Check occasionally as each oven cooks differently.