The occasional Sunday calls for delicious, cheesy, comfort food. That’s where this White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese recipe comes in.
WARNING: Recipe is super simple, don’t overcomplicate it.
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb of Vermont White Cheddar Cheese (2 C Shredded)
- 1/2 lb of Gouda (1 C Shredded)
- 1/2 lb of Macaroni noodles
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- ¼ C Flour
- 1 C Milk
- 1 C Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ c panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon of butter (for toasting bread crumbs)
- Boil Pasta. Drain
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Whisk butter and flour until combined and a warm brown color. (approx. 2 minutes)
- add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the milk + cream in increments. Keep stirring!
- Sauce will thicken quickly. When it starts to simmer, remove from heat.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or nonstick spray. Add drained pasta. I used an 8x8 dish but anything would work. Just make sure the pasta covers the bottom.
- Next, pour the sauce evenly over the noodles. Add the shredded cheeses. Be generous! Stir it all together.
- Prepare bread crumb topping. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and stir in panko until a golden brown. Sprinkle over the top of the cheesy pasta. Almost done!
- Pop in a 325 degree oven for 12- 15 minutes.
- Serve warm. Enjoy seconds.
If the sauce become too thick, add more milk.
Try tossing in some broccoli florets and grilled chicken for a quick dinner.
For a steakhouse spin, try adding lobster or crab meat.
Jeff has listed it in his top 5 favorite dishes I make. I hope you enjoy it as much as he does.
If you give the recipe a try, post it on Instagram and tag me @TheNewMrsAllen.